Thursday, November 29, 2012

And Just Like That

Fall and Pumpkins and Thanksgiving “Grateful Trees” were down,IMG_1730_edited-1

And Winter and Christmas and snow was put up.
IMG_2081_edited-1
IMG_2100_edited-1

At least it felt that sudden. One day we were enjoying a cool autumn-day Thanksgiving, and the next we were up in the mountains where, unlike the unseasonably warm temperatures at home, there was snow and the type of wind that hurts cheeks and makes eyes water.

We did have a perfect Thanksgiving. It was one of those events that everyone wanted to go a certain way – that really DID go that way. It was held in Mike’s uncle’s barn on the old family land with many of the aunts, uncles and cousins from Mike’s side of the family. There was shooting and kickball, 4-wheeler rides, bottle-feeding of baby cows, ridiculous amounts of tasty food and more.

Such as . . .  a treasure hunt:
IMG_1931_edited-1

Which might normally have only semi interested Jesse, but, when involving walkie-talkies, absorbed him wholly.
IMG_1940_edited-1

There was a turkey piñata!
IMG_2009_edited-1

And jeep safari tours of the old land.
IMG_1972_edited-1IMG_1979_edited-1

The above pictures were some of my favorites from the day. Mike’s uncles Jodie and Denny along with Mike’s dad and aunt Leisa had all headed off, unbeknownst to me, on the tour. Mike came and grabbed me – leaving our kids loosely in the care of others – and had me hop on a 4-wheeler with him to go track them down for a few pictures. Mike’s uncle Jodie had little interest in stopping to pose, but Mike simply flew us over fields and along short-cuts to come zipping out in front of or to the side of them – where I would quickly snap a few pictures before they’d driven too far beyond us again. I felt like the paparazzi and found myself laughing and clinging to Mike and my camera quite heartily. Very fun and happy.

There is much I could write about the aunts involved in this production. My thoughts have been with Mike’s aunt Leisa particularly of late (who we have had the ridiculously good fortune of living close to the past few years), but my feelings aren’t sorted and ready to express well enough yet. I have thought often, lately, how life sometimes surprises you by those it gives you to love and connect with the very most. I keep wanting to type more, but no. It will need to wait ‘til I feel I can express it properly and with the justice it deserves.

But! As I said, we are on to winter and Christmas now. Not a day goes by with out the kids dancing to festive versions of “I Saw Three Ships” and “God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen”, lights and nativities are up (and I have said “to heck” with matching and consistency this year – putting both white and colored lights all willy-nilly about the house). The older three kids have their mini trees glowing happily in their rooms while they sleep, and poor dear Jesse, who came along after we gave individual trees to the kids, was found rummaging about in the box of Christmas things the other day until he happily created this for himself:
IMG_2156_edited-1

He seemed oblivious to the fact that it was 1/3rd the size of his siblings (and severely lacking in other décor). Sweet little fella.

Anyway, welcome Christmas – bring your cheer.
IMG_2089_edited-1IMG_2133_edited-1IMG_2145_edited-1

1 comment:

Perla said...

Fantastic photos, as always. I'm so glad that Thanksgiving turned out how you all had hoped. I have decorated the house for Christmas but the trees are all just now their lovely colors so yum enjoying autumn instead of snow. But its all good. Can't wait to see you soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...